Sunday, April 29, 2007

Sun Sui Wah Seafood Restaurant

My girlfriend is vegetarian so I enjoy the food here with my brother and my omnivore friends. They do have a veggie menu but it is a la carte. Also, the sight of large live Alaskan King Crab may make your veggie guests uncomfortable. According to my trusted authentic chinese food critic, this restaurant is among the best in the GVRD area. As far as I know, there is no MSG and the quality of food is excellent. It doesn't hurt to have great ambience and good service. I never expect much in the way of service with chinese restaurants, but I have no complaints here.

This is not the place for cheap dimsum (I particularly enjoy The Flamingo on Fraser for less expensive dimsum). Sun Sui Wah ranks on par with places like the various Kirin locations in Richmond and Vancouver. Unlike Kirin, they still have the classic carts bringing sometimes mysterious treats to the tables!

The a la carte menu was excellent. We had the beef in a Taro basket, House Special Chow Mein, and a Vermicelli Seafood HotPot. Unlike other restaurants, these dishes were not drenched in oil. The deep fried Taro basket was crisp but not oily, the scallops tasted fresh without the fishy aftertaste, the bbq pork was not too sweet, and the crispy noodles were just that-crispy but not too oily. The noodles were not drenched in sauce, rather the ingredients were placed nicely on top of the noodles leaving them crisp.

As much as I enjoy the food at Sun Sui Wah and other such high end chinese restaurants, I do take some issue with some items on their menu. In the past, I have enjoyed eating Shark Fin soup but after seeing the movie "Sharkwater", I can no longer enjoy this dish. Here is where ecological and cultural sensibilities collide. I hope that these two issues can respective resolve themselves in the future. Watching "Sharkwater" made me aware of the plight of sharks and I hope that Asians everywhere will watch the movie and feel the same way.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Jazmina,

I'm pleased and flattered that the two of you have reviewed a few of my recipes on Recipezaar. (I'm not a premium member, so I had to leave you a note here, instead). Thank you for the photos and suggestions - I'll look forward to trying some of you recipes as well.

-Jennifer